Our urgent care service is for pet owners seeking non-critical, urgent medical care by appointment or walk in.
If you need urgent pet care, and your pet is in stable condition, please call ahead. Our Urgent Care veterinarians are available by appointment on select weekdays. A member of our team will help you make an appointment, or direct you to come in to the emergency department. Our emergency department is open 24 hours, 365 days.
The urgent care service for dogs and cats is open to all, we encourage calling ahead as there is a limited number of daily appointment slots. The team in our urgent care department will work with you and your regular veterinarian to provide the comprehensive care your pet needs. If you have recently seen your family vet for the same medical condition, or if your pet has other medical conditions, or is on medication, please ask your doctor to forward your pet’s medical record to our team. This step is not required, but it might save time and money, especially if we have to repeat recent diagnostic tests.
Urgent Veterinary Care: What We Treat
Veterinary urgent care, similar to human urgent care clinics can see patients with minor injuries and conditions that require minimal intervention, such as ear infections, minor lacerations and allergic reactions. Urgent care symptoms and clinical signs in a pet include the following:
- Allergic reactions (hives, swelling) or asthma
- Bite wounds
- Blood in urine or stool
- Coughing (without respiratory distress)
- Diarrhea/Vomiting starting within last 24-48 hours
- Ear issues (ear infections, abscesses)
- End of life assessment and euthanasia
- Eye issues (eye infections)
- Lacerations or injuries
- Lameness, limping, or difficulty walking
- Loss of appetite, dehydration, or lethargy
- Porcupine quills
- Skin issues (hot spots, rash)
- Tick-borne disease
- And more!
We have launched this urgent care service to provide pet owners with more options for their pet’s urgent care needs in San Rafael, CA, the North Bay area, and surrounding towns. By offering pet urgent care our hope is to provide you and your non-critical pet with an alternative to critical care emergency hospitals, and a shorter wait time since your pet will be triaged with other stable patients. Our medical team of experienced veterinarians and technicians have extensive training in emergency and urgent veterinary care.
- Radiography (X-Rays)
- Point-of-Care Ultrasounds
- Specialty appointments are required for more advanced diagnostics including CT, Echocardiography, and endoscopy, and ultrasounds.